Many health concerns are treated as an isolated issue. For example, if you have asthma it must be a lung issue. If you have arthritis it must be a joint issue. If you have allergies it must be an immune issue. BUT what if I told you a lot of these issues begin in the gut. Sure, treating the symptom with medications will help you regain your quality of life, but are you really treating the root cause? Many today do have digestive problems including reflux or heartburn, irritable bowel, bloating, constipation, diarrhoea, and colitis. In fact, belly problems account for over 200 million doctor’s visits and billions in health care costs annually. If you are not digesting your food properly, the chances you aren’t absorbing nutrients properly is pretty high, which could lead to nutrient deficiencies. Here’s my top 5 tips to restoring your good gut flora and start your healing process.
- Kill the bad gut bacteria- utilizing natural antibiotics such as oil of oregano, manuka honey, and garlic to clean out your system is step one in the healing process.
- Reduce antibiotic use- antibiotics can be crucial and life-saving if you have an immediate need for them, but use of antibiotics doesn’t just kill the “problem” you are using them for, but totally cleans out your good gut bacteria as well.
- Probiotics- Once we’ve killed all the bad bacteria it’s time to reintroduce and build our good gut bacteria. We can do this through the use of probiotics and fermented foods like kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh and some yogurts.
- Eat a diet rich in fibre- a diet rich in fibre will help feed the good gut bacteria as fibre acts like a prebiotic.
- Reduce the refined foods, sugars, processed foods etc- these foods feed and create bad gut bacteria. By enjoying these foods too regularly you will have reversed all the work you’ve put in thus far!