#FitnessFriday – Shoulder Setting
Setting or positioning the shoulder blade correctly not only helps improve shoulder pain and movement but also helps reduce tension and neck pain.
1. Start by laying on your back with 1 arm up in the air
2. Push your arm up towards the ceiling, hold it up and twist in a clockwise and counter-clockwise direction then come back to a neutral position
3. In the neutral positon, slide your shoulder down towards the ground, keeping your shoulder down away from your ear. HINT: Try to slide your shoulder blade down towards your bum, this way it stays in a set position.
4. Once the shoulder is down, twist the arm in a clockwise and counter-clockwise direction again, and push it back up towards the ceiling
5. Repeat 10 times, and then switch arms
Try to keep the shoulder down at all times so we are setting it properly, and not activating the trapezius muscle.
CHALLEGE: Add a weight when you do this, but start light!