Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (raw), cut into small florets and stem removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 thick slices of white cheddar cheese (you can also use shredded cheddar cheese)
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place cauliflower into food processor and pulse until crumbs about half the size of a grain of rice.
- Place cauliflower into large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.Your cauliflower should be soft and tender (and hot!).
- Stir cauliflower to mix up the bottom and top cauliflower. Place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove and stir again so that all the cauliflower cooks evenly. Place back into the microwave and cook for 5 minutes. At this point, you should see the cauliflower is starting to become more dry. Microwave for another 5 minutes. Cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch, but should look dry and clumped up.
- Allow cauliflower to cool for a few minutes. Then add in egg and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine until smooth paste forms. Stir in seasoning. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Place onto large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices (about 1/3 thick). Bake cauliflower bread for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Using a good spatula, carefully slide cauliflower bread off of parchment paper.Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. You can do this a few different ways. You can either cook on the stove top as you would normally cook a grilled cheese. You can also place sandwiches into toaster oven and broil for several minutes (5-10) until cheese is completely melted and bread is to toasty. If you don’t own a toaster oven, you can also do this in the oven.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Kirbie’s Cravings